Friday, July 13, 2012

Clean Eating FAQ

We've been clean eating for over 3 weeks now.  I am absolutely no expert, but I have been asked a LOT of questions by a lot of people about clean eating! Honestly, I love being asked about it.  It holds me accountable.  I never want to look at someone and say, "well.... I'm not really doing that anymore" when they ask. If you still have questions, feel free to ask!  Email me at ecitysupermom@gmail.com or comment here.

Why do you eat clean?
Eating clean is the way we were intended to eat.  I honestly didn't do it to lose weight or anything, but it has helped in that area as well.  I have more energy.  My hair is stronger and healthier.  My nails are stronger.  My face is still in the break out stage while toxins are being pushed out of my body.


What do you eat?
Here is a sampling of some of the things we eat for each meal:
Breakfast: overnight oats [recipe below], omelets with veggies, fresh fruit
Lunch: pimento cheese on whole wheat,  fresh fruit, fresh veggies with hummus, dinner leftovers
Dinner: as long as it's made from scratch and sugar & preservative free, it's good to go.  I posted some of our favorite recipes in an earlier post, and will post more below for your pleasure!
Overnight oats
What are your staple foods?  Which foods do you have on hand at all times?
Every "diet" [whether used for weight loss or not] is going to include certain staple foods.  I find myself using these things all the time:  whole wheat flour, herbs, spices, olive oil, coconut oil, milk, eggs, butter [used sparingly but still good to have on hand], tons of fresh, seasonal produce, oatmeal [plain, not instant], steel cut oatmeal, honey, pure maple syrup, brown rice, quinoa, whole wheat couscous, nut butters, flax meal, chia seeds, dried beans, and nuts.  I buy local and organic whenever possible for everything.  The Farmer's market is my BFF.


Do you plan your meals?
Yes, I do.  Well, at least suppers are planned.  Breakfast is typically planned because I'll make overnight oats the night before or I won't.  I've always been a meal planner, though, even way before clean eating.  Little Miss Type A cannot live without her menu plans.


There ya have it, folks!  These are a few of the questions I keep hearing over and over.  I hope this helps someone and don't hesitate to contact me with any other questions!


Love,
Supermom


P.S.  Here's the recipe for overnight oats.  You thought I forgot, didn't you?  This originally came from one of my favorite blogs, www.katheats.com [she also has an iPhone app which is amazing for my iPhone peeps!], but I've adapted it a tiny bit for my taste.  :]  You can play with this as much as you'd like to find the perfect balance. It's really good and super filling!


Overnight Oats
adapted from katheats.com


1/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 – 1/2 cup milk [depending on how soupy you want them to be]
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 banana
1/2 tbsp chia seeds
Dash of cinnamon


Directions


Stir everything together in a bowl and place, covered or uncovered, in the refrigerator for the night.  I like to put mine in a mason jar.  I love me some mason jars.  You can top overnight oats with whatever you'd like -- I usually do some slivered almonds, sunflower seeds, sunflower or almond butter, and blueberries or blackberries.  I also throw these in the microwave for about a minute before I add toppings because I don't like cold breakfast, but that's totally up to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment